Wizards > Application Firewall Wizard
The Application Firewall wizard provides safe configuration for many common use cases, but not for everything. If at any time during the wizard you are unable to find the options that you need, you can click Cancel and proceed using manual configuration. See the “Manual Configuration Procedure”. To use the wizard to configure application firewall, perform the following steps:
Step 2 In the SonicWALL banner at the top of the screen, click the Wizards icon. The wizards Welcome screen displays.
Step 3 Select the Application Firewall Wizard radio button and then click Next.
Step 5 In the Application Firewall Policy Type screen, click a selection for the policy type, and then click Next.
You can choose among SMTP, incoming POP3, Web Access, or FTP file transfer. The policy that you create will only apply to the type of traffic that you select. The next screen will vary depending on your choice here.
Step 6 In the Select <your choice> Rules for Application Firewall Policy screen, select a policy rule from the choices supplied, and then click Next.
Depending on your choice in the previous step, this screen is one of four possible screens:
Step 7 The screen displayed here will vary depending on your choice of policy rule in the previous step. For the following policy rules, the wizard displays the Set Application Firewall Object Content screen on which you can select the traffic direction to scan, and the content or keywords to match.
• All SMTP policy rule types except Specify maximum email size
• All FTP policy types except Make all FTP access read-only and Disallow usage of SITE command
In the Set Application Firewall Object Content screen, perform the following steps:
• In the Direction drop-down list, select the traffic direction to scan from the drop-down list. Select one of Incoming, Outgoing, or Both.
Note If you selected a choice with the words except the ones specified in the previous step, content that you enter here will be the only content that does not cause the action to occur. See “Negative Matching”.
– In the Content text box, type or paste a text or hexadecimal representation of the content to match, and then click Add. Repeat until all content is added to the List text box.
– To import keywords from a predefined text file that contains a list of content values, one per line, click Load From File.
• Click Next.
If you selected a policy type in the previous step that did not result in the Set Application Firewall Object Content screen with the standard options, the wizard displays a screen that allows you to select the traffic direction, and certain other choices depending on the policy type.
• SMTP: In the Set Maximum Email Size screen, in the Maximum Email Size text box, enter the maximum number of bytes for an email message.
• Web Access: In the special-case Set Application Firewall Object Content screen, the Content text box has a drop-down list with a limited number of choices, and no Load From File button is available. Select a browser from the drop-down list.
• FTP: In the special-case Set Application Firewall Object Content screen, you can only select the traffic direction to scan.
• Click Next.
Step 8 In the Application Firewall Action Type screen, select the action to take when matching content is found in the specified type of network traffic, and then click Next.
You will see one or more of the following choices depending on the policy type, which is shown in parentheses here for reference:
Step 9 In the Application Firewall Action Settings screen (if it is displayed), in the Content text box, type the text or URL that you want to use, and then click Next.
The Application Firewall Action Settings screen is only displayed when you selected an action in the previous step that requires additional text. For a Web Access policy type, if you selected an action that redirects the user, you can type the new URL into the Content text box.
Step 10 In the Select Name for Application Firewall Policy screen, in the Policy Name text box, type a descriptive name for the policy, and then click Next.
Step 11 In the Confirm New Application Firewall Policy Settings screen, review the displayed values for the new policy and do one of the following:
In the Application Firewall Policy Wizard Complete screen, to exit the wizard, click Close.